So I didn’t have any kale in my veg box this week *boo hoo*, what can I make crisps from instead? Cabbage!
In the interest of experimentation, I thought I’d give it a whirl. I made it in the same way I make kale crisps.
Here’s how I made Cabbage Crisps
- wash some cabbage leaves – I used savoy cabbage – and cut out the stem from the middle of the leaf
- my leaves weren’t huge, so I left the leaves in just two pieces each, instead of chopping them smaller, as they do shrink when you crisp them up
- put the cabbage in a bowl and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the top (melted coconut oil would probably be fab too, or any other good quality oil of your choice).
- add whatever flavours you fancy, I kept mine simple with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkling of himalayan salt
- get your (clean) hands in there and massage the leaves so they are thoroughly coated with everything – i usually do this for a few minutes, until the leaves are a vibrant shiny colour
- if you’ve got a dehydrator, lay out the cabbage leaves on your trays and stick them in at your usual ‘keep it live at 105℉’. If you’re like me and don’t have one, lay out on a baking sheet or two, so they’re not on top of each other and put in the oven at its lowest setting, if you want to try and keep as much of the goodness as possible.
- check what’s going on after about 30 minutes and keep an eye on them depending on how quick they are crisping up for you – mine took about 45 minutes I think, at 80℃
- ta dah! Healthy crisps or ‘chips’ if you’re in the USA 😀
I found the savoy cabbage had a surprisingly sweet flavour when crisped and I really enjoyed them. They had my sister, Nicola’s, seal of approval too.
I’m not sure how long they’d keep in an airtight container, as they always get eaten the instant they come out of the oven here! If you can stop yourself from scoffing the lot in one go, you’ll have to let me know.
What’s your favourite vegetable crisp to make? Share in the comments below, especially if you have a tasty topping you like to make, I’m always on the look out for inspiration.